The Rolex Ref. 6062 Bao Dai Watch just sold for $ 5,060,427 at Phillips auction, making it the most expensive Rolex watch ever sold at auction. It gives me a chance to introduce some reference value to you. As for the most expensive Rolex, I sum up some of the most expensive Rolex at auction to popularize knowledge.
BAO DAI ROLEX WATCH 6062
It didn’t make people feel surprised that Bao Dai Rolex watch is the most expensive Rolex ever sold at auction, because the watch with many features makes it unique. A thing is valued if it is rare, which is the nature of the auction. Brand, auction items’ condition and modern aesthetics are included, too. The unique Rolex Ref. 6062 Bao Dai watch is special for a number of reasons.
1. Rolex watch Ref. 6062 belonged to the last emperor of Vietnam, who was quite the character.
2. Rolex Ref. 6062 edition had three watches, but only the Bao Dai Rolex watch has the black dial and diamond indexes.
3. With day, date and month in apertures and phase of the moon functions, Bao Dai Rolex watch Ref.6062 launched in the 1950s, one of the most sophisticated watches in the history of Rolex. Since then, Rolex has never produced sophisticated wristwatches any more, hence the Bao Dai Rolex watch stands out its uniqueness.
4. Both good condition and appropriate size meet modern aesthetics.
ROLEX DAYTONA PAUL NEWMAN “The Legend”6263
It is well known that Paul Newman watch is the most famous and valuable model in Rolex Daytona series. This super rare 18K yellow gold Paul Newman Daytona sold for $4.18 Million USD. Confirmed by experts, there have been three yellow gold Paul Newman watches with screw down pushers. It’s said that they were made as experiment models in the early years of Rolex, without mass production. In the end, the mass production of Reference 6263 was decorated with common dials, not Paul Newman faces. With a ‘lemon’ grené dial, case back and “Rolex Cosmograph Oyster” signature, Rolex Paul Newman Daytona ref. 6263 breaks records and held up until now, the most expensive Rolex Paul Newman in the world.
ROLEX SUBMARINER WHITE GOLD PROTOTYPE
This very strange white gold prototype in blue is now the most expensive Rolex Submariner in the world, sold for $628,572 (631,500 CHF). It is a prototype white gold Submariner watch from the early stage of the 1970s and only three models (Two examples with blue dials and the other one with a black face.) are known to exist. Different from current Submariner watch, the prototype one has many features.
1. Only two length of sawtooth patterns appeared from three to five O’clock and from nine to eleven O’clock.
2. The faded blue nipple dial has yellow gold markers and hands. Rolex GMT-Master watch with a nipple dial is common in the earlier years of Rolex.
3. The prototype white gold Submariner watch was equipped with a bark-pattern bracelet. The rarity and excellent condition make it be the most expensive Rolex Submariner watch.